Thursday, March 01, 2007

Gushing


Yesterday, jack squealed with delight as he lay under his new gymini. He had never squealed and he is just starting to laugh.

Before I go on, I must write a disclaimer. A few months ago, a woman in first weeks said that when her husband asked her what she wanted for christmas, she said she'd already gotten her present (referring to her son). I thought this was a lovely thing to say but the comment stuck in my head because it's something I would never say. I don't want to gush about motherhood because I feel obligated to do it. I don't understand where the pressure comes from but the book The Mommy Myth proposes some ideas. In any case, I try not to precede any critiques I have with this experience with the sentiment that I love Jack and would throw myself in front of a train for him. I notice people do this all the time. "I am so in love with Junior but the sleep deprivation is really getting to me" or "Of course I love being a mom but diaper changing is not my thing" or whatever. All statements have to be preceded with the good mother disclaimer. Gushing is acceptable, socially appropriate and encouraged; negative feelings need to be couched with gushing. It's a drag. How about balance? It seems all parents feel everything -- why the pressure to hide?

So all that said, now I have to gush. The noise of Jack squealing and laughing is the sound of pure joy. It makes me happy and I am so grateful for his presence. And we love this gymini. It's a must have for all wee ones.

1 comment:

megan said...

yay! you rock. jack's adorable. maggie's going to have the *hugest* crush on him.