Wednesday, March 14, 2007

On the fence

Before I had Jack, I was fairly ambivalent about children. I was not particularly drawn to them, and I wasn't particularly excited about having one. I felt like it was something I might regret not doing but I was not really sure about why I wanted to do it. To people who know it's not right for them, I say great. One can live a full life without children. I have had occasion to talk to people who are on the fence as I was. I say to them, if I knew then what I knew now, I would have done it sooner. If there wasn't such a huge population problem and Seattle wasn't so darn expensive, I'd have many. I had a feeling this might happen.. this radical shift to a have-a-child cheerleader. I watched it happen to so many of my friends. One day they were interested in talking about politics and relationships and celebrity gossip; then they have a kid and all they want to talk about is the advantages and disadvantages of the family bed or diapers or spit up or ear infections or whatever other extremely boring thing their kid happened to be going through at the moment. And, they were just thrilled about it. Now, if I am talking to another parent.. yep, there is no child-related minutiae I don't enjoy talking about. Crazy.

No comments: