Monday, January 01, 2007

The Mother Trip

I am reading a book by Ariel Gore called 'The Mother Trip.' I am seeking (and sought when I was pregnant) alternative views of pregnancy and motherhood. I do not know where I got the messages of what motherhood is supposed to be but they are very oppressive. The book I am reading traces some of the origins of the halo that exists around motherhood and why. In short, mothers are supposed to sacrifice everything for their children. My mom didn't do this so where does this come from? Why do I feel guilty about all of my short-comings? Why do I feel like I have so many short-comings? I was aware of the negative messages before having Jack but I am surprised by how deeply they affect me. For example, I have heard friends say in certain moments they feel like "a bad mother" when their kid cries or whatever. I always thought that was so strange. Now, I have experienced that feeling. I don't abuse or neglect my child, so what's up?

The book has the following passage:
Take a moment to imagine the perfect mother. No, wait. Take a moment to look in the mirror. She is you. You are enough for your children, no matter what the choir says, no matter who you imagine you "should" be, you are enough.

I spent a lot of time in my late teens and early twenties getting over our society's ideal of a woman .. someone who looks hot at all times or has no value. Now I have to get over this ideal of motherhood. The sooner, the better.

1 comment:

megan said...

amen, sister. :)