Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Knock on wood

Today we went to see our family doctor for the 2 month well child visit. Jack weighs 10.5 lbs and is 23 inches long. He is in the 30th percentile for weight and 50th for height.. which is probably exactly where I was before I was pregnant. jack also got his shots.. 5 to be exact. I was planning to stagger the shots and only get the DTaP today but the doctor talked me out it. My fear was that jack's little immune system would be overwhelmed especially because I am not breastfeeding. The doc's argument was that while they would never give adults 5 shots at a time, babies can handle it. He reassured me that he has vaccinated hundreds of children and "never had a problem, knock on wood." So we did it. I felt like I was going to cry when the nurse brought in the shots with their big needles. But I learned many lessons from watching the family members of sick people in the ER.. the most helpful to the patients were those that did not fall apart -- the ones that were strong even though emotionally, they must have been terrified... and this show of strength is far more important for young patients. So I held his little hands and looked calmly into his eyes as he screamed. It sucked.

He has been sleeping since.. so hopefully, knock on wood, no issues.

No comments: