Saturday, August 20, 2011

Colorful Food and other obvious advice

I made this lunch for my kids today: carrots, cucumbers, hummus (home-made), cheese, crackers and rasberries.

It reminded me of some advice I got from a doctor last year at Jack's well-child visit. He said "make sure the food on the plate has some color." This doctor is a very nice young man.. well-intentioned. But when I hear this kind of advice from doctors I wonder what kind of impression I have made. Do I look like my kids only get 7-up, kraft mac n'cheese, and chips for dinner? When Jack was only a couple of months old our doctor told me to make sure I never put the car seat in the front seat. Really? Well, the trunk is ok then, right? Because, seriously, if someone ever puts their car seat in the front, they need so much help that they probably will not make it to a well-child check ever and certainly not on time.

No comments: