Wednesday, January 06, 2016

Goodbye for Now, Terry

My Dad's wife passed away in November. Her family had put her in a nursing home 2 years ago. She quickly progressed through more severe stages of dementia. We were never close to her children but felt fortunate they called my brother to tell us about her death. Her family had decided they would not hold a service for Terry but my siblings and I needed to mark the occasion and somehow, say goodbye. We invited my dad and Terry's friends to a brunch near their home. Their friends are all in their 80's and even one woman who is 90.

We reminisced, laughed, cried and chatted about other things as well: the legalization of marijuana for example. One of my dad's friends and fellow right winger ranted. He said he loved talking politics with my dad and I could understand why -- they were of the same rush limbaugh-influenced mind.

My dad's best friend mentioned he has lost both of his best friends. They are gone now, and he feels alone without them. It's hard to look forward to that time of life. I felt the group was fairly subdued. I imagine they are tired of such memorials. Loss, loss and more loss. It's hard.

Post-memorial. Hermanos gather.

No comments: