Friday, April 24, 2015

Jack's 3rd ER visit*

I took Jack to our doctor yesterday. He and Sonia now weigh nearly the same. He had broken out in a rash all over his legs. His cough was worse. The doctor changed the antibiotic for his ear infection. She gave us an inhaler so the cough would hopefully calm down. She said he might have pneumonia but suggested we try these things then move on to a chest x-ray in a few days. She also said Jack should not lose any more weight.

When we returned home, I fed Jack tiny amounts of food hoping they would not be thrown up but they were almost immediately.  At this point, I felt despair. How can he heal when he cannot eat? I called our doctor and we agreed I would take Jack to the ER in the morning for a thorough examination.

I did that. He had a chest x-ray. He has pneumonia. He had blood taken and he may also have mono ( a virus with no treatment). The mono would explain the rash on his body as he had never had a reaction to antibiotics before. In any case, we received treatment for which I am so eternally grateful. Jack's mood was ok although as we walked into the emergency room, he asked me if he was going to die. He had been asking more frequently when he'd be able to eat again. Last night, after I spoke to the doctor, I told Jack she told me that he needs water and a hug. I gave him the water and he said "Don't forget about the hug."

This period of illness has been the worst I have experienced yet with my kids. It's been heartbreaking and unnerving.

Jack just ate a hamburger. He has held it down. It is the happiest day of my life.

Jack received 2 Incredible Hulk stickers for being so amazingly calm during the blood draw (which took about 10 minutes). He gave me one of them. I felt it was appropriate that I also received an award.


* I wrote this post on Thursday but didn't publish it until today








No comments: