Wednesday, December 13, 2006

What is normal?

One of my yoga teachers once said that a normal person is just someone you don't know very well.

I thought about this yesterday when I went for the first time to a parent support group called First Weeks. The room was packed with mostly women and their babies who were younger than 12 weeks. People asked all kinds of questions but most of them were essentially 'is this normal?' And the answer was always yes. One woman has a baby who never sleeps between 9 am and midnight - another woman has a baby who sleeps all the time. Both fine. One woman has a baby who poops all the time, another one just poops once every day or two. One woman has a baby who eats constantly, another has a picky eater. All good.

Going to the support group is very relaxing. I constantly think is this or that ok? Does he focus on my face enough? Does he eat too much or too little? Blah blah. I am trying to accept that its all ok. Chances are Jack will be fine. Then, he'll grow up and go to therapy like everyone else.

No comments: