Friday, December 08, 2006

Being and Nothingness


I take care of a little being and my days are filled with nothingness. I don't really have any existential angst as the title of my post may imply. The experience of caring for a newborn is filled with contradiction. It's terribly boring and tedious but very meaningful. I am filled with love and dread and I am frequently nauseated as a result of the combination.

I went to a support group yesterday where I learned this isn't supposed to be a joyful part of life. It's just hard. Why does everyone think that having a baby is so exciting then? Are they excited for you to have the experience of a 10 year old? Or do they forget what it's like to have an infant? I am not sure but people were very excited for me to be pregnant.

Jack cried last night for three straight hours. It seems the hours between 5pm and 11pm are annoying to him -- a nuisance he'd rather not deal with. I had attempted to change his formula to an organic brand a few days earlier and that did not agree with him. I am going to try again but this time I'll do it gradually. See what I mean? Food is important but very boring.

My friend Stacy sent us a lovely gift package including this matching fleece hat and blanket. She makes these herself! We love them.

1 comment:

WWGA said...

Alicia and Ryan, hi, miss Jack and our wonderful days together. you are so lucky to have such a beautiful baby, count your blessings daily. i wish I lived closer so I could help you every day. Jack will grow strong and you will enjoy a special bond with your darling son. cannot wait for the next opportunity to see him and hold him. much love, Mom