Thursday, September 01, 2016

Cajones

In July, Sonia attended the birthday party of twin boys. The theme was magic and the boys dressed up as magicians. The invitation had invited guests to come prepared with their own magic tricks but I missed that detail. However, after the boys performed, the parents asked if any of the kids had a trick prepared. To my surprise, Sonia stood up and said she did. She had a quarter and held it up for the group. Then she put her hands behind her back, dropped the quarter (not surreptitiously) behind her back and presented her empty hands to the group. The kids were not impressed but the adults clapped loudly.

So I was less surprised when Sonia declared she would be performing at a talent show the last night of a family camp we attended at Camp Nor'wester last weekend. She told me she was going to dance. I asked her what music she would dance to and she looked at me blankly. She signed up, did a short display of the result of about 5 ballet lessons, and received loud applause for her efforts.

She thinks people are applauding her talent but when I applaud, I am applauding her nerve.


Dressed up for camp dance



No comments: