Monday, March 28, 2016

No certainty

I recently read an article called 13 Questions to Ask Before Getting Married. It really bothered me. Ryan and I have been together almost 17 years. We asked no questions before getting married. We already owned a home and had been together for 5 years before getting married. My decision to get married was based on the fact that I didn't see myself ever breaking up with Ryan, so why not get married? Here was our conversation about children:

Me: Ryan, I am pregnant.
Ryan: Wow.

And here we are. I don't know how the story ends.

Similarly, 5 years ago, I read A Blueprint for a Woman's Life, and it irritated me for the same reason. There is no script for living the right life. People learn through experience and making mistakes. It's the only way. I can look back and see I have done some things that don't seem very smart now, but I also see that I would not be where I am today if I had not done those things. Those "mistakes" or "regrets" delivered me to the life I have now (and I am very grateful for that life).

I hope I can convey to my kids that anyone who suggests that there is some right way to live your life is trying to sell something.*

*Unless the article is about the many reasons you should not become a drug addict or alcoholic. Then you, my children, should definitely believe that.

No comments: