Sunday, September 20, 2015

Parenting

The longer I parent, the less I think it has any effect on the parented. My kids are so different from me. I am sure my habits influence them. I know the environment does too. However, I don't think anything I say or insist on guides them except maybe to inspire them to rebellion.

Here is a video of Sonia playing soccer. She is a very competitive and aggressive little player. At this stage of play, the faster, tougher girls just get more time with the ball. Sonia cried yesterday when her team lost. She is motivated to practice and be a good player. I have no part in this. Neither does Ryan. She is just this way. Jack, meanwhile, laid on the soccer field during scrimmage when Ryan signed him up for a league. He has no interest in competition but don't get him started on airplanes or dinosaurs or Minecraft or the solar system.

It seems the main job of a parent is to keep the children fed and step out of their way as you can't control much anyway.




No comments: