Sunday, March 22, 2015

Day 5 Firenze

While Florence looks the same as I remember, the people have changed. We noticed far fewer smokers and far more people from different countries (many more Asians and Eastern Europeans). We realized the world economy has dramatically changed since we were last here. Technology, the rise of China, and the end of Communism has spread money throughout the world. Another very big change is that I am now a Signora. I love it. I can look people in the eye and not worry about them following me.

This morning, I went out solo to find coffee. I realize now I've been ordering the wrong thing here. I now order a macchiato. The cappuccinos here are like weak lattes at home. I also need to order double shots. It is comforting to know that Seattle's coffee rivals Italy's. It's like the child has become more successful than the parent.



We decided to re-acquaint ourselves with the city and we walked all over the city. As before, there is art everywhere. The same art of course. About 20% of the art is behind scaffolding as it's so old it always needs to be repaired.


The Greek god Neptune 

David about to fight Goliath



We headed over the Ponte Vecchio - a 1000 year old bridge. 

We had mid-day gelato


We visited the location of our school Palazzo Antinori on Via Tornabuoni (very near the duomo). We strolled around the Duomo and the small streets that were never meant to have cars on them.


We ate a delicious late lunch. We felt like grown-ups since it was the kind of restaurant we never would have entered 20 years ago.




























1 comment:

J said...

The photo of you in the coffee shop is beautiful.