Saturday, October 21, 2006

Distance

Some people complain that health care providers do not care enough. They seem distant. I have learned there is a very good reason for this distance.

Today at work a little boy who looked 8 but was actually 12 came in. He had tetratology of fallot with a pulmonary stenosis. Lots of big words that basically mean very serious congenital heart condition. He seemed fine in triage but when I brought him and his mom to their room he started to get very nervous. The kid has spent so much of his life in a hospital. He knows the deal. Its going to suck. His panic gripped me in a way I rarely feel at work. I told him that his mom had total control over what was going to happen. He said ok but then through his little tears said, no pokes right? I replied that I couldn't guarantee it, then walked out of the room and cried. This is why you want hospital people to be distant. If you see one or some of the people taking care of you crying about you.. it would not be comforting.

Thankfully, this is my last weekend of work until I have the baby. I can only handle so much of the world's sadness while pregnant.

No comments: