Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Baby Shower

This weekend we had a baby shower. Since we didn't really have a traditional wedding, I have not ever done the registry thing or the open presents in front of lots of people thing. As I said at the shower, I was fairly reluctant to have one. I feel like its strange to have a party where people give you presents, and I am also sort of superstitious and reluctant to count my little chicken before it is hatched. However, I now understand why we have this tradition. Its so great to gather friends and family to celebrate a big shift in your life. In fact, I wish we would have showers for a wider array of occasions -- retirement, a new job or a lost job ... I suppose we have birthday parties.. but its not really the same.

In any case, I highly recommend having a baby shower before you have a baby. It provides a wonderful reminder that you have a community supporting you as you begin a difficult but remarkable journey.

No comments: