Saturday, July 16, 2016

the 1%

A week ago, a friend I haven't seen for years invited me to a fundraiser hosted by her father-in-law, a prominent (and very successful) venture capitalist in Seattle. Her in-law's family are also affected by the same diagnosis we are. At the last minute, my friend's husband could not attend but they'd purchased tickets ($500 each) and had an extra.

I accepted immediately because I had not seen her for so long. After she sent me the description of the event, I realized how small it was. I started to get very nervous because I am not accustomed to hanging out with the 1%. So I called my sister (that's part of her job). She gave me some great tips then offered to send me some clothes as I had nothing that fit the dress code of "summer chic." I felt better knowing that at least I'd fit in superficially.

Turns out, I did not need the $10,000 dress. The party was small. But the guests were wearing Seattle summer chic which means "comfortable" What bonded me to them was not my clothes but the challenges our children face. Parenting a child with a disability must be humbling for everyone regardless of income. I am so grateful to the physicians and staff from Seattle Children's who are doing such amazing work, and equally grateful to these wildly wealthy people who are so committed to funding that work. Their children are grown so my child is the beneficiary. I promised my friend I wouldn't hug anyone but I expressed my sincere gratitude to many.

I was worried about spilling something on this dress.

No comments: