Friday, July 20, 2007

The benefits of ppd

I was talking to a friend who has a child Jack's age recently about the loss of one's social life after a baby.. or rather .. the change to one's social life. As my friend said, 'it's a new way to be.' She mentioned her husband was fairly blue about it and she asked me how that was for me. I realized that I wasn't really sad about it and I wondered why since that was always an important part of my life.

Here is my theory: one (ridiculous) cure for a migraine is to have someone punch you in the arm for one minute straight. the idea is that you'll be distracted from your migraine then when the punching ends, you'll be grateful and relieved that it's over.. then your migraine doesn't seem so bad. I think having the baby would be the migraine then the post-partum depression is getting punched in the arm. For three months, I was convinced I would never experience joy again. So when it was over, pain from the loss of a vibrant social life didn't seem like much to deal with... not that I recommend it but it does make most other types of emotional discomfort seem .. well.. not that uncomfortable.

No comments: